A Cherry Berry Ripe Smoothie

DSC_0694 2Market research in 2013 found that Cadbury’s Cherry Ripe, Australia’s oldest chocolate bar, was also the country’s most popular choice, even ahead of the classic dairy-milk bar. Although my chocolate bars of choice tended towards Snickers and Twix, I’d always been a bit partial to Cherry Ripe too, as a fan of dark chocolate. But it tastes too sweet for me now. And the sugar content? More than six teaspoons of sugar in one bar.

This smoothie takes the core flavours of the popular treat – berries, coconut and chocolate – and smoothifies it to be much more fructose-friendly. It is also dairy-free.

Cherry Berry Ripe Smoothie

• 1/2 cup cherries, stones removed, and frozen for best results
  • 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
  • 10 cubes frozen coconut cream, or about 175ml coconut cream
  • 2 heaped tsp raw cacao
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 1 tsp cacao nibs
  • 1 cup coconut water
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Rice malt syrup or stevia, to taste (optional – I didn’t use any)
  • To serve: whipped coconut cream, cacao nibs and shredded coconut

1. Place all the ingredients, except the cacao nibs, in a blender or high-powered food processor and process until smooth. Adjust with more water for a thinner consistency if you wish. Stir through the cacao nibs.

2. Distribute between 2 or 3 glasses.

3. Serve as is for a quick and easy smoothie – or, top with whipped coconut cream (see note below), shredded coconut and cacao nibs.

Note: To make whipped coconut cream, place an unshaken can of coconut cream in the fridge overnight. Remove the can, turn upside-down, and use a can-opener to open. Tip out the liquid (reserve to use in smoothies), and you will be left with a thick layer of coconut cream. Scoop it out and whip using a hand-beater or food processor, just as you would for regular cream! Store in the fridge.

8 Comments

1. resetandrise says:

It’s definitely cherry season, I was experimenting with making a raw “cherry ripe” slice today! Will def have to give this one a go, looks amazing!

• Erin says:

Thank-you! I do love cherry season…. and mango season… And peach and nectarine season… 🙂 A cherry ripe slice sounds delicious!

2. kamillej2014 says:

Okay – so I finally got all my ingredients and made this – Its really flavoursome; feels very cherry ripeish.
    Next time I’ll add more cacao for a stronger chocolatey hit, no water and rice bran syrup instead of stevia. I put a picture on instagram on my site: messy but still looks yum!
    Cheers!
    Skinny Jeans Mum

• Erin says:

That’s great feedback, thanks Kamille! I just saw the pic on your website – it looks delicious! Thanks for letting me know how it went. Have a great weekend 🙂

3. Alanna says:

Hi Erin, where do you get whipped coconut cream from? Is it simply a matter of using a mix master to whip it up?

• Erin says:

Hi Alanna,

I’m not aware of anywhere that sells whipped coconut cream, although I’m sure it’s not far away! I made my own, by whipping it as I would regular cream. BUT, there are some extra processes involved – it’s best to place an unshaken can of full-fat coconut cream in the fridge overnight, then turn it upside down, open it and pour away the water (save this for smoothies). You are left with the thick, chilled coconut cream, which you can whip with beaters. It’s a lot of work, but is really yummy.

Check out this link for more instructions: http://tasty-yummies.com/2014/03/04/make-whipped-coconut-cream/

A quick, but still dairy-free alternative, would be to use CoYo (coconut yoghurt), which is available from health food stores.

Hope this helps!